Insuring your home and possessions

There are two types of insurance which you need for your home, buildings insurance and contents insurance.

Home Insurance

Buildings insurance

Rooftop insure buildings against damage. This insurance covers the structure of your home and items such as your kitchen and bathroom. It does not cover any of your personal belongings.

Contents insurance

Rooftop Housing Group does not insure the contents of your home or your personal possessions. Along with the National Housing Federation, we urge you to arrange home contents insurance for this reason.

Buildings Insurance

Buildings insurance covers the costs for damage to the structure of a building such as to external walls, roofing, internal wiring and drainage and to items such as your kitchen and bathroom. Buildings insurance does not cover the costs of replacing or repairing personal possessions, appliances and most other items inside the home.

If you rent a home, have a lease agreement or are a shared owner with Rooftop Housing Group you do not need to arrange for buildings insurance, this is provided by Zurich Municipal.

You will need to arrange your own buildings insurance if you own the freehold to your home (including with a mortgage) or if your lease agreement states that you are responsible for insuring the building. (Please check your lease agreement as there may be clauses relating to insurances for some lease agreements).

Making a Claim

In most circumstances you won't need to make a claim, however, if you need to make a claim against the policy then please contact us as soon as possible. Do not arrange any repair work until you have received permission from us or the insurance company.

Please contact us if:

  • your home needs a repair we are responsible for
  • there is damage to or issues with the outside of the building or communal areas
  • If there is other damage in the home we should be aware of, such as faults with the internal wiring or plumbing leaks

The sooner we are made aware of an issue, the sooner it can be rectified, limiting the damage it may cause. This helps to minimise repair costs and future insurance costs.

Zurich Summary of Cover

For third party claimants and their solicitors, our Employers and Public Liability insurer are:

Zurich Municipal

Zurich House
2 Gladiator Way
GU14 6GB

their portal compensator ID is C00108 and our policy number is JHA-22S355-0013.

For Leaseholders and Shared Owners to view details on your buildings insurance with Zurich Municipal, please see the Leaseholder and Shared Owner Policy Summary of Cover.

To make a claim please visit:

Contents Insurance

Rooftop does not cover your house contents as part of the tenancy agreement, only the buildings insurance is covered.

House contents insurance covers you against loss, theft or damage to your personal and home possessions. You don't have to take out home contents insurance. However, it's a good idea to do so because if any of your contents are lost, stolen or damaged you will have to pay to replace them.

For example, if you were to experience a flood at your property that was not the fault of Rooftop, you would need to pay for the damage caused to your belongings.​

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

Thistle Home Contents Insurance

It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you, Rooftop Housing Association has teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited who provide the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme, a Tenants Contents Insurance policy designed for tenants living in social housing.

The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

How do you get further information?

  • Call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288
  • Alternatively, please visit the  for more information or to request a call back.

Limits and exclusions apply. A copy of the policy wording is available on request.

What Rooftop means to me

"I have nothing but positive things to say about Rooftop. I've lived here for 17 years and always been satisfied with the support offered."


Retirement Living - Seward Close

Subscribe to our newsletter
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
By subscribing you agree to with our Privacy Policy and provide consent to receive updates from our company.