Your Rent

When you sign your tenancy agreement you are agreeing to pay your rent on time and to not fall into arrears.

Your rent

When you sign your tenancy agreement you are agreeing to pay your rent on time and to not fall into arrears.

If your rent is going to change we will always give you 4 weeks’ notice in writing.

If you need to check your rent balance, give one of our team a call and we will be happy to give you those details.

How to pay your rent

Most people find that Direct Debit, it’s the easiest and most convenient way to pay and you can choose a payment frequency (weekly, fortnightly or monthly) to suit you.

Your first rent payment must be paid when you take on the property and your Direct Debit will be set up to collect all future payments. If you wish to set up a new Direct Debit or to make changes to your existing arrangement, please contact the Income Team.

If you are able to, we’d always encourage a slight overpayment each month, it means that if your circumstances change (you need to make a new Universal Credit Claim for example) you won’t immediately fall into rent arears and it gives more peace of mind.

If you need to pay via an alternative payment method, please discuss this with your Neighbourhood Officer or contact the Income Team.

Claiming benefits

If you claim Housing Benefit or Universal Credit to help pay your rent it is your responsibility to ensure your claim is always up to date and to notify us of any changes to the amount you receive.

What if you can't pay

If you have problems paying your rent its important you contact us as soon as possible. 

Please don't ignore the problem - the sooner you get in touch, the sooner we can help you. 

Everyone has money worries at some point in their life, so please don't be embarrassed to talk to us, there isn’t anything we haven’t already helped a customer through.

elena on phone.jpg

We can help

Our Income Team will chat through your situation with you and assess how we can best help.

We have two specialist Money Advisors who can give you advice on benefits and budgeting. They can also point you to other organisations that may be able to help.

We can then come to an agreement with you that will help you start reducing your rent arrears at an amount you can afford.

For independent advice you can also visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Falling into arrears

If you fall into rent arrears but fail to contact us or work with us to make a suitable payment arrangement, we will start taking action to recover the debt.


We will be clear on each action we take, and this could result in you losing your home.

Contact us

If you need to discuss your rent account with us please contact Rooftop Housing Groups Income team directly.


You must contact us if you need support with your rent account.