Universal Credit is a new and important benefit whether you can claim depends on where you live and your personal circumstances.

 It merges together some of the benefits you may be getting at the moment. These six benefits are:

Income based job seekers allowance

Housing benefit

Income based employment support allowance

Child tax credits

Income support

Working tax credits

The claim has to be made on line, will be paid once a month, in arrears and into a bank account.

This means you will need access to a computer to make the claim, think about how you will manage financially until the money is paid, make sure you have a bank account, and remember your housing benefit will be included in the one payment.

Rooftop can support you to make the claim on-line, we can give you advice on how to budget for the weeks until the benefit is paid, give you advice on bank accounts and help you set up a direct debit so you can pay your rent on time.

See here for further information on universal credit and how to claim. https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit

What happens to your Universal Credit when you start work or work more hours?

The video from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will explain more.

What Universal Benefit doesn’t include is Council Tax Benefit – you will need to make a separate claim for this to your local council.

Universal Credit may not stop when you find work. Instead it will continue to be paid but could reduce as your paid income increases.

For any questions on Universal Credit use our contact form or call our work and money advisors on 0800 0421 800

You can listen to Beverley from our Work and Money advice team talk about UC below.