Health and Safety Compliance Family making a home

Health & Safety Compliance

Your safety is important to us and it is crucial that you feel your home is safe.


Your safety is paramount and it is crucial that you feel your home is safe

Nothing is more important to us, and we want to ensure the safety of those who live with you or visit you.  We are also committed to ensuring that indoor and outdoor areas are safe, and any risks are carefully managed.

We are committed to protecting the safety, security and wellbeing of our residents, colleagues, contractors, and visitors. Not just because we must, but because it is the right thing to do as a responsible landlord.

We have a duty to comply with the law, in addition to several standards set out by the Government that are enforced by the Regulator of Social Housing. Wherever we can, Rooftop will always aim to go above and beyond the minimum standards required.

The Homes Act

As your landlord we must make sure that your home is ‘fit for human habitation’ which means that it is safe, healthy and free from things that could cause you or anyone else in your home serious harm. This responsibility has been set out in law through the Homes Act and we work hard to make sure that the houses and flats that we rent are safe, secure, warm, and dry.

If you do experience any difficulties, we would encourage you to contact us immediately, ideally in writing if possible and provide us with a reasonable amount of time to fix the problem.

Gas Safety

We have a legal responsibility to make sure any gas equipment we supply is safely installed and maintained in good condition.

This includes using a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out an annual gas safety check on each appliance in your home. 

Rooftop has no obligation to service appliances installed by tenants, but we do include flues and supply pipework within safety checks. Your own cookers and appliances will be visually checked, with any found to be faulty isolated by the engineer at the time of inspection.


Universal Credit is the government’s new benefit for working age people.  It replaces Jobseekers’ Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Housing Benefit, Child Tax Credits, Working Tax Credits and Income Support.  

It is paid monthly, direct to you, so you will need to have a bank account, and it can only be claimed for and accessed online.  If you struggle to get online, get in touch as we may be able to help. 


You will need to have an email address that you can access easily on a regular basis before you start the claim.

You will then be responsible for paying your rent to your Landlord.   

If you have any concerns or would like to know more about the new benefit, please get in touch.

How to apply for Universal Credit


As part of the Government's Welfare Reform changes, the total amount of benefit that can be received will be a set amount for both single people and couples. This is called the benefit cap.

The benefit cap was brought in to make sure that no family received more in benefits than the average working household.

The cap is currently

£384.62 a week if you are a couple or have children

£257.69 a week if you are a single person


If you are working age and claiming Housing Benefit or Universal Credit for help with your rent, this will be reduced by 14% if you have one empty bedroom, or 25% for 2 spare rooms or more.


There are rules about children and bedroom entitlement.


Citizens Advice Bureau have a calculator for working out how many bedrooms you are entitled to bedroom calculator


from Housing Benefit or Universal Credit

If you have non-dependent adults living with you (such as children 18 and over) this can affect your benefits.  


The Department for Work and Pensions or local authority will look at the income of each adult in your household as this affects which deduction they take.

Loan Sharks

Be very careful about borrowing money or accepting goods from anyone not authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority. They often charge very high interest rates and demand unaffordable repayments. Lenders such as these are known as Loan Sharks.


If you can answer yes to one or more of these questions you might be borrowing from a loan shark:

  • Did they offer you a cash loan?

  • Did they not give you paperwork?

  • Did they add huge amounts of interest or APR to your loan?

  • Have they threatened you?

  • Are you scared of people finding out?

  • Have they taken your bank card, benefit card, passport, watch or other valuables from you?

Speak in confidence to one of our Money Advisors, or contact the Illegal Money Team available 24/7 on 0300 555 2222 for anonymous information taken in the strictest of confidence.


Rooftop Housing Group includes Rooftop Housing Association and Rooftop Homes Limited  Read More


Risk Assessments


Registered address: 70 High Street, Evesham, Worcestershire. WR11 4YD 
© Rooftop Housing Group 2019 | All rights reserved | terms and conditions